Friday 13 May 2011

A garganey, and other short stories.

A nice relaxing trip to Barnes today produced the goods with a stunning male Garganey, which of course decided to stay hidden behind an island (or had somehow flown off on my watch) for the good hour and a half that Shirley the friendly bird-counter was trying to get a look at it. Other good stuff came in the form of 2 Shelduck, 3 Redshank, Blackcap and Chiffchaff and bugger all else. Seeing some Damselflies (Azure blue, if I'm not mistaken) was a pleasant first for the year. I'm on study leave so there'll be either be a rash of posts or I'll be on target to pick up my hoped-for grades. Or neither.

Little stunner

Just the product of a crappy record shot and chance fly-by

Chiffchaff, cute little thang.

Redshank

A newly fledged Long-Tailed Tit

Azure Blue Damselflies

Yellow Wagtail

4 comments:

  1. Has the Yellow Wagtail been trodden on?!?

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going with an eastern subspecies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Yellow Wag is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you James, they're a favourite bird of mine so I consider it a privilege to be able to get as close as I did.

    ReplyDelete